If you’re looking for the perfect dish to wow your family and friends with at your festive table this recipe for Maple Glazed Roast Beef with Plums is a sure winner. If you’re looking for a delicious local twist on this dish, why not try switching out the plums for locally picked Num num? The Table Bay’s Executive Chef, Keshan Rambarun use this local gem, foraged from the nearby V&A Waterfront, in a compote for the Camissa Brasserie’s seasonal dishes and the chef encourages local home cooks to follow their lead and “go wild” in the kitchen this festive season.
350g Green peas
100g Salted butter
80g Plums (or Num num)
1kg Beef fillet
120g Pearl onions, peeled and halved
15ml Maple syrup
12 medium prawns, cleaned and shells removed
50ml Olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Blanch peas in salted boiling water until soft. Blend until smooth with 50g butter and 1g salt.
2. In a small saucepan, place the Plums (or num num) and 50g sugar with about 100ml of water. Cook the plums /num num until soft and mushy. Remove the seeds and blend until smooth and thick.
3. Preheat the oven to 1800C. In a cast-iron pan, sear the beef fillet and pearl onions with the remaining 50g of butter, salt and black pepper. Drizzle with maple syrup and roast in the oven for 7 minutes. Remove and allow to rest for 3 minutes before slicing.
4. Cook the prawns for 2 minutes a side in a pan with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
5. To serve, garnish each plate with a smear of pea puree and plums/num num. Top with slices of beef, prawns and pearl onions. Drizzle with the pan juices of the beef and serve.
Keen to see how the chefs do it? Watch the video below to see how it’s made:
Love cooking? Find the best prices on kitchen essentials online with PriceCheck now: