Thinking of healthy and exciting packed lunches for your child can be a daily challenge. It’s easy to fall into the trap of stuffing your child’s lunch bag with pre-packaged salty and sugary snacks, but trust us, with this easy lunchbox guide you won’t need to! Bin the soggy sandwiches and get inspired by these simple, fast and delicious ideas to bring new life to the dreaded lunchbox.
For a perfectly balanced lunchbox try to use a combination of high fibre whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein, while keeping an eye on the nutrient count of sugar and salt included. Here are some quick and easy options for you to include in your child’s lunchbox:
· A salad wrap: Made with a healthier brown wrap and packed with lots of crunchy vegetables for texture as well as cheddar cheese and hummus for a flavour hit.
· Omelette in a bun: A hearty omelette roll can either wrapped up for a satisfying veggie-packed lunch. Fill the omelette with juicy cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta and spinach for a mouthwatering bite.
· Sweet potato chips: Instead of the usual packet of Simba chips, try a healthier alternative like sweet potato chips. This super-simple veggie snack takes no time to make. Just thinly slice a sweet potato and roast in olive oil – no added salt is needed. Air-popped popcorn is another great alternative to chips.
· Fresh fruit cut into quarters with a small natural yoghurt.
· Gluten-free or sugar-free oat and chocolate chip cookies: Hit your local health store for some great healthy biscuit alternatives or make your own with this recipe.
Children often mimic the dietary habits of adults so it’s important for your child to learn the value of healthy food at home. For example, if you’re looking for healthier snacking options then why not spend some time with your kids trying out different snacks this weekend? Show them how it is prepared and allow them to discover and explore the nutritious foods that they like the most.
Looking for the perfect lunch box for your child? Browse PriceCheck to find the best prices on lunch boxes and insulated lunch bags.